The NBHRF Summer Studentship Program offers undergraduate students an opportunity to participate in medical or health research at a New Brunswick institution during the summer months, from May to August. The award is intended to encourage students to consider pursuing formal post-graduate training and a career in health research in New Brunswick and consists of a salary stipend only. THE SUPERVISOR (health researcher) IS THE APPLICANT on behalf of the student. The supervisor must be an independent health researcher, with an academic or clinic appointment at a New Brunswick institution with a record of productive health-oriented research and sufficient financial and operational resources to ensure the satisfactory conduct of the research.
Research supported must be in a field of human health research, defined broadly as encompassing the four pillars of health research: biomedical science, clinical research, health services and systems research, and research on the cultural, social, and environmental determinants of population health.
- Application Deadline: 4:00 p.m., January 15th of each year
- Funding Decisions by: February 28th
- Funding Start Date: May to July each year
The program is offered annually, subject to availability of funding. The award:
Is provided at a rate of $412/week for a period of 8, 12 or 16 weeks depending upon the project and the student’s availability.
1) 8 weeks (July - August) $3,296
2) 12 weeks (June - August) $4,944
3) 16 weeks (May - August) $6,592
The applicant will indicate the appropriate dollar value of the request in the “Funds Requested from NBHRF” field on page one of the on-line application form.
Application Instructions at a Glance
The checklist below shows the steps an applicant (the supervisor) and student will need to follow to submit an online application to NBHRF for the Summer Studentship Grant competition:
- Complete the online application form and prepare all required attachment documents including a scanned completed signature page and a scanned transcript (please note there is a maximum 10MB restriction for each uploaded files, please ensure your documents meet this restriction).
- Complete an updated online Common CV using the template entitled "NBHRF Template" for BOTH THE STUDENT AND THE SUPERVISOR(S)
- Submit online application with all attachments.
Eligibility - Supervisor
- The supervisor must hold funding for a specific research project in which the student will be involved.
- A supervisor may apply for no more than 2 NBHRF Summer Studentships per year and must submit an individual application for each applicant.
Eligibility - Student
The health researcher / supervisor is the applicant on behalf of the student and the student has to meet one of the following criteria to be eligible:
- Registered in year one, two or three of an undergraduate degree program in a health related field;
- Registered in year one, two or three of a New Brunswick based M.D. program and may also hold an undergraduate or graduate degree;
Requirements for NBHRF Summer Studentship Grant Applications
- Applications must be completed & submitted online through the New Brunswick Health Research Foundation website. Ensure the following sections are completed. Project Information, Funding Sources, Student Supervisor(s), Student Additional Information, Required Additional Documents and Signatures. Note: Under Funding Sources, list grants obtained for this specific project. Under Funds Held by Supervisor for Research Project, list the same sources as in Funding Sources and identify the amount dedicated for the student for each one.
- No additional documents will be accepted prior to or after the submission deadline. (see below for required attachements)
- Your electronic signature page document (obtained by scanning the paper copy after signatures have been obtained) must be uploaded as an attachment using the "Browse" button on the application form. There is no need to submit the paper copy of the signature page; the electronic scanned version will be sufficient.
- A completed Common CV must be created (and/or updated) by the applicant (e.g. the SUPERVISOR) and THE STUDENT using the template entitled "NBHRF Template" in the Canadian Common CV system as part of the application process.
- Complete applications must be submitted online by 4:00 pm AST, Januray 15 each year. If the 15 falls on a weekend, the application must be submitted online the next business day by 4:00 pm AST.
- Awards are made for the chosen number of weeks in the year of funding. Both successful and unsuccessful applicants may apply again in subsequent years.
Please ensure that your application is complete (including all required signatures) and submitted on time to NBHRF. Failure to do so will result in an invalid application that will not be eligible for consideration.
The complete application must be submitted via the online process. (before submitting the online application return to this section and ensure all these documents are uploaded in your online form)
*Page Setup and Format for Attachments
Margins: ¾" (2 cm)
Page: 8.5" x 11.0" (21.5 x 28.0 cm)
Font: 12 point
Spacing: No condensed type or spacing
Line Spacing: Single-spaced
*Attachment #1 - Research Project Summary (maximum 2 pages) (see format above)
In paragraph format, provide a title and summary of the research project in which the candidate will be involved. Please include the supervisor’s funding information for the project the student will be working on (agency, type of grant/award, duration, amount). Be sure to describe the role of the trainee in the proposed research project with respect to the skills they will gain and the expected outcomes.
Attachment #2 - Transcript
Provide the most recent transcript for the student named in the application.
Attachment #3 - Common CV
A completed Common CV must be created (and/or updated) in the Canadian Common CV system as part of the NBHRF Summer Studentship application process. Using the CV Funding option, select Funding Source NBHRF, and then select CV Type NBHRF Template. Both the applicant (e.g. supervisor(s) - if more than one supervisor, all of them) and the STUDENT will have to upload their CCV as a document through the "Browse" button on the application.
Please note that a “Draft” CCV will not be accepted as part of your application. Please ensure that you up-load the correct version of your CCV in your NBHRF application.
Attachment #4 - Signatures Scanned completed signature page
Applicant (Principal Investigator)
Please enter the applicant (the first nominated supervisor) and the undergraduate student names on the online application, and both must sign the signature page.
Please enter the name of the Dean/Department Head/Manager on the online application, and have them sign the signature page.
Please enter the name of the person who has the authority to bind the institution or organization to the general conditions governing grants and awards and have them sign the "Institution (To be signed by Authorized Official)" box.
Application Submission - Read Carefully
Ensure you review the application for completeness and accuracy prior to submitting as you will not have access for editing after you click the submit button.
Ensure that all attachments (files) (see above), CCVs and signature page are uploaded with your application using the "Browse" button prior to submission (please note there is a maximum 10MB restriction for each uploaded files, please ensure your documents meet this restriction).
DO NOT submit your application prior to receiving the appropriate signatures. The form for all required signatures is the second page of the application. Once you have completed the first page, click "Save and Proceed to 2nd page", and the second page will appear. Type in the required names and click "Save Draft". Click the "Preview and Print" button and view the page to ensure the information on it is accurate. Print the page by clicking the "Print" button. You may logout of the application at this time. Your information will be saved because you clicked "Save Draft". Obtain the required signatures on the page, scan it and log back into your account. Click the "Edit" button on your Portfolio page which will take you to your application's first page again. Click the browse button under "Application Details Attachments" and upload the scanned signature page. Click "Save and Proceed to 2nd page" and click the signature boxes on the second page. If you are finished your application, click "Submit", if you wish to make any other changes or additions, click "Save Draft" and make those changes.
You will receive an e-mail advising that your application has been received. In the e-mail you will also be given a unique application number. Please ensure that you record this number for future reference.
Grant Recipients are required to submit a Final Report within 60 days of the end of the award period (by October 30th) for each student by completing the NBHRF final report form found by logging into your NBHRF account. The Financial Statement for the award from the institution's financial office must be attached as an " NBHRF Attachment".
A joint plain language summary from the supervisor and the student must also be sent as an 'NBHRF Attachment'. The documents must adhere to the following format:
10 pt font, 1.0 line spacing, 0.75 inch (2 cm) margins, maximum 2 pages.
The undergraduate Summer student AND the supervisor must answer the following questions in the report:
(a) Describe the research project you worked on (objectives (goals)).
(b) What progress was made towards achieving those goals during the 8 to 16 week period?
(c) Describe the tasks that were learned and performed.
(d) Describe any results that were determined.
(e) How did the experience assist the student in their development as a health researcher?
(f) How did the student contribute to the research project and progress that was made?
(g) What research skills did the experience help to develop for the student?
(h) What are the student’s educational / research plans for the next year?